If you are considering new flooring for one or more rooms in your home, one of the first decisions you’ll need to make is the budget for the project. If you determine what you have to spend, you can then choose the type of flooring that fits that budget. Here are the steps needed to compile a floor installation estimate.
- Step 1: Determine how much flooring you need. A good rule of thumb is to measure the square footage of the space and then add 10% for loss due to cuts during the installation. If you are doing a unique layout, such as diagonal installation, consider adding on additional 5% or more.
- Step 2: Consider how many boxes of material you need by considering the coverage included in each box and round up to the next full box. It isn’t a bad idea to get one or two extra boxes to store away should you need to make a repair later.
- Step 3: Shop for the exact product you want and calculate the cost. Be sure to add on tax, delivery charges if you aren’t picking it up yourself, and any additional pieces you need such as transition strips, underlayment, or adhesives.
- Step 4: The next step of your floor installation estimate involves the installation itself. If you are doing the work yourself and need to take time off work to do so, factor that into your budget even if you’ll be using vacation time, as you could end up needing to take unpaid leave later. If you are hiring a professional to install it, have them give you a quote for the work and confirm that you have calculated properly before they arrive to safeguard against delayed project completion.
- Step 5: Add in any incidental costs, such as if you need to stay in a hotel during the project, pet boarding costs, restaurant meals if your kitchen will be out of commission, and so forth.
If you would like assistance in compiling a floor installation estimate, give us a call at Complete Flooring Works in Raleigh, North Carolina. We would be happy to assist you with flooring material selection and quantity calculations, as well as give you a quote for the installation of your new flooring. Whether you’ve already started and need help finishing the project or you are at step one and need our help getting through the steps, we assure you that you’ll love the results!